Best Travel Insurance 2017
Get the latest on the best travel insurance providers. Reviews and comparisons of the top travel insurance companies in the country.
Travel insurance isn’t just for the perpetually unlucky or the accident-prone.
Trips can be expensive, and be completely ruined by chance happenings like theft, losing your baggage, having a medical emergency, or needing to cancel unexpectedly. A good travel insurance policy can protect you in each and every one of those situations, as they should include health insurance, baggage and personal belongings coverage, medical evacuation, and even personal liability.
When comparing companies, be sure to look at their coverage, benefits and limitations, and what you need for your peace of mind. Depending on where you’re travelling to, certain concerns such as political evacuation or identity theft may be a concern. Remember to also check if their policy is reimbursement-only, meaning you cover your own costs out-of-pocket and then submit paperwork to your insurer in order to be repaid, and also, how accessible their support services are from your trip’s destination.
Top 10 Companies
- Our #1 Choice for Travel Insurance - A+ BBB Accredited
- Safe & secure checkout with instant coverage confirmation
- Best Price Guarantee - Compare policies with confidence!
- Get coverage in just minutes
- Wide network of travel insurance providers
- Member of The US Travel Insurance Association
- Up to $100,000 in emergency medical expense benefits
- Trip cancellation, trip delay, lost or delayed baggage, medical evacuation and travel assistance coverage available
- Kids under 21 covered at no additional cost with the Travel Select plan
- First payer coverage with no deductibles*
- Provides coverage for international and domestic travel, cruises & more
- Underwriter holds A+ ratings with BBB and A.M. Best
- Kids under 18 are free.
- Perfect for all types of travelers.
- Casual travelers, adventure plans, and multi-trip plans.
- Verified safe and secure checkout process
- Mobile app features travel alerts, translations, policy information, and more
- 24/7 customer support both domestic and international
- Perfect for single trips and adventure travelers
- Covers digital gear
- Purchase insurance even when overseas
- Trip interruption/ cancellation
- Interact with the locals, iPhone travel language apps
- Important Fact: The average out of pocket cost of medical emergency transportation outside the US can be as high as $25,000
- Covers Domestic, International, Cruises & more
- Coverage for medical emergencies, trip cancellation, lost baggage, rental cars, even change fees!
- 24-hour services & kids under 18 covered free
- Enter trip dates, ages of travelers, estimated cost and get a quote - no credit card required!
- Trip cancellation, delay comes standard
- Coverage for pre-existing conditions
- Special trips cover (adventure sports)
- Build your own travel insurance (My Travel Guard)
- Car rental collision coverage
- Medical plans
- Emergency Air Transport due to Illness or Accident
- Not Reliant on Insurance Company to Choose Facility
- Transport from virtually anywhere to your home hospital (150 miles or more from your residence)
- An excellent alternative to travel insurance!
- Solid medical coverage
- Hazardous sports cover (optional)
- Limited optional coverage items
- Insures travelers up to age 85
- Travel insurance for students available
- $2 million maximum coverage per injury or illness
- Highly customizable plans
- Student traveler plans
- Flexible deductibles
- Up to 100% coverage for eligible expenses outside US
- For US and non-US residents
- Group plans
- No exclusions for Acts of War and Terrorism
- Accidental Death and Disablement of up to $1 Million
- Up to $500,000 per claim on Medical Expenses and Medical Evacuation
- Get a free quote online
- Optional Ransom Reimbursement
- Lost and Delayed Baggage up to $1,000
- 24/7 emergency assistance
Best Travel Insurance: Summed Up
How We Compare Travel Insurance
Travel insurance policies can be divided into three major types: entry-level plans, standard plans, and premium plans. While entry-level plans give you the option of being protected at the most affordable price, these plans do not have the same level of protection recommended when traveling. Entry-level plans do provide coverage for trip cancelations and interruptions, but airlines already provide some degree of compensation for these situations.
Standard travel insurance plans offer a balance between price and coverage. They contain better coverage compared to entry-level plans without going overboard. And if you still find yourself searching for a particular item to cover, travel insurance companies also offer special coverage as well.
Travel Cancelation and Interruption
- Trip delays
- Travel agency, transportation services (airline, cruise) goes bankrupt or defaults
- Natural disaster
- Military deployment
- Bad weather
- Work-related trip cancelation
Personal and Health Coverage
- Pre-existing medical conditions
- Medical evacuations
- Repatriation of remains
- Common carrier accidental death and dismemberment
- Medications and consultations
Baggage and Special Items
- Lost baggage
- Baggage delays
- Special items (sporting equipment)
- Electronic items
How much compensation are you entitled to for each covered item in your travel insurance policy? Most plans offer 100 percent coverage for trip cancelation. Medical benefits vary from company to company, but some require primary medical insurance so be sure to check this out with the company. There is also a minimum period for both trip interruption and baggage delay coverage. Benefit details include per day maximum limits for baggage and trip delays. Below are the covered items and benefits we looked into.
Accident and medical expenses
What are the available plans? Plans that give you more options give you the best chance of finding travel insurance that meets your coverage and budget needs. While most holiday travelers basically have the same needs in terms of the coverage, business or adventure travelers may be different.
- Single trip
- Family/ Group trip
- Business traveler
- Frequent traveler
- Adventure or special traveler
Policies & Limitations15%
- Pre-existing medical conditions
- Minimum period required for enrollment
- Travel and baggage delay periods
- "Free look" period
Having 24/7 support services is a must, especially for travelers. Standard services include concierge and business assistance. A dedicated support line is available for round the clock assistance. In case you'd like to cancel your policy, understand how their free look period works and their refund policy.
24/7 medical assistance
Business traveler assistance
Customer Questions & Answers
What is Travel Insurance?
Travel Insurance will help you pay for unexpected expenses if your trip is canceled or interrupted due to a covered reason. The best travel insurance plans can also include medical evacuation coverage in the event that you become ill or injured and require medical attention while away from home. It will also reimburse you for lost, damaged or stolen personal belongings and luggage. Additionally, many travel insurance providers offer 24/7-travel assistance to help you coordinate travel plans, re-book flights or hotels, or act as personal travel assistant. Some travel insurance providers may even offer coverage for identity theft and political evacuation.
When Should I Get Travel Insurance?
The sooner you purchase travel insurance, the better, especially if you have significant pre-paid, non-refundable portions of your trip (such as hotel rooms, plane tickets, or tours) booked. Travel insurance will be there to help you cover those costs. That being said, most providers will allow you to purchase travel insurance up to 7-21 days before your trip, and some will even let you purchase coverage up to 24 hours in advance. As with all insurance, hopefully you’ll never need it, but if you do you’ll have the peace of mind knowing your travel insurance provider has you covered.