10 Best Meal Delivery of 2017
Find the perfect meal plan with the Best Meal Planning services. We compare and review the Top Meal Planning services to give you the best value for your money.
Meal delivery services deliver to your door either pre-prepared meals or portioned ingredients for recipes. The meal plans are mostly customizable across the different companies, and can be modified for dietary restrictions, or simply to lose weight. Most companies that focus on meal preparation have an ample variety of recipes to choose from, simple step-by-step instructions, and portioned ingredients.
Families, home cooks, individuals with dietary restrictions or looking to lose weight, students, or simply busy people who can’t consistently find the time to plan or prepare their meals can turn to meal delivery services for an easy solution. Since you only get the pre-made meal itself, or the quantity of ingredients you'll actually use for the recipe, meal delivery can cut time spent shopping for ingredients, while still trying new foods, and manage food waste more efficiently.
When choosing a meal delivery service, consider what frequency works best for you; if you need a plan tailored to diabetics, weight management, special diets, family packages, or are simply looking to bring some variety to the dinner table; the cost; and the subscription options Another selling point for many people is that these services often have established ties to suppliers who practice regenerative farming, sustainable seafood and animal husbandry, resulting in higher-quality, guilt-free ingredients.
These delivery services can provide a healthy alternative to ordering fast food, or over the counter, readymade meals. However, it is important to inform yourself about customer satisfaction, company reputation, and the legitimacy of their health or food provenance claims. Most companies are very straightforward, have no cancellation fees, and generally good reviews, but doing research will help you obtain the meal plan that’s best for you.
Top 10 Companies
- Pre-portioned ingredients delivered weekly
- Chef-designed recipes
- Flexible subscription
- Wide range of original recipes
- Choose up to 9 recipes each week
- Personalized plans
- Fool-proof recipes
- Customized physician-designed diet food plans
- Nutritionally balanced diet meals
- Scientifically proven healthy meal delivery plans
- Simple 4-step diet program
- Access to wide selection of BistoMD’s menu
- Seen on NBC, Lifetime, The Doctors, AARP, Dr. Phil
- Weekly deliveries of fresh ingredients and tasty recipes
- Options of boxes to choose from
- Meal kit for as low as $8.75 per meal
- Flexible subscription
- Free door-to-door delivery
- Prepare home-cooked meals in less than 30 minutes
- Weekly service that fit consumer’s life demands
- 13 new meals to choose from every week
- Chef-designed easy to follow recipes
- Free delivery on orders over $40
- Delicious meals for $9.95 per serving
- Weekly Original Recipes
- Free Nationwide Delivery
- Personalized Menus
- Animals Raised Without Any Added Hormones or Sub-Therapeutic Antibiotics
- Farm-Fresh Ingredients
- Interactive Recipe Pages
- Quick Cooking Tutorials Available
- Cancel Any Time
- Chef-designed meals
- Dinners in as little as 15 minutes
- Dinner starts at $7.95
- Wide range of menus that change daily to choose from
- Skip orders and cancel anytime
- Same-day delivery for selected service areas
- Ready-to-heat meals and cooking kits delivered right at your door
- Chef-cooked, healthy meals delivered fresh (never frozen) and ready in under 2 minutes
- Choose 4, 6, 9, or 12 meals each week with meals as low as $8.99 per meal
- Pick meals from a weekly rotating menu that is entirely gluten-free
- All meals are made to order by their chefs
- Meals are packed to ensure they arrive fresh and use 100% recyclable packaging
- No refined sugars or artificial sweeteners
- No commitment subscription – pause, cancel or switch your plan at any time
- Chef-designed recipes
- Free weekly delivery
- Skip a week anytime
- New recipes every week
- Comes with step-by-step recipe cards
- Flexible subscription
- Featured in The New York Times, Living, Today, Fortune, and Epicurious
- Easy 3-Step Recipes
- Fast 10-minute gourmet
- Convenient door-to-door delivery
- Weekly delivery that includes 3 dinner kits
- All inclusive price of $11.95 per meal for 6 or more meals
- Locally sourced and fresh ingredients
How We Compare Meal Delivery
Meal Planning Cost20%
Enrolling in a meal planning service can save you both time and money. Instead of dining out, it lets you enjoy different dishes in the comfort of your own home. Although each company has their own pricing system, the price of each meal varies based on portion size and choice of ingredients. Most companies have introductory offers, but in general, a long term subscription will save you the most money. Below are some of the things you should look out for when determining which meal planning service works best with your budget.
- Shipping Fee
- Price Per Serving
- Weekly Total
- Subscription Fee
- Cancellation Fee
When choosing a meal planning service, make sure to research the culinary team designing the dishes. If you're looking at specific dietary plans, it's doubly important to know that the people creating the menus are certified nutritionists. Many companies feature collaborations with celebrity chefs, who adapt some of their signature dishes to a home kitchen.
Meal kits are meant to help home cooks easily prepare gourmet dinners without the hassle of shopping for specialty ingredients. When looking at the different recipe options, remember to take into account both your skill level and the amount of time you're willing to spend. Most meal kits are specifically designed to be simple and easy-to-prepare in half an hour or less.
A huge factor in determining the success of a meal is the quality of ingredients used. Most of the companies we reviewed sourced their produce straight from partner farms and seafood suppliers, ensuring that all ingredients were fresh and of the highest quality. Also consider how the ingredients are packed. Some companies prioritize environmentally-friendly packaging, and others offer a freshness guarantee.
Meal kit providers should be able to offer a number of subscription options, from one-time orders to recurring weekly subscriptions. This should allow for anytime cancellation, skip or pause in weekly deliveries. One-time delivery options, for example, give clients the opportunity to test the waters before enrolling long term.
All of the meal service we looked at had a wide variety of meal options or recipes, which changed on a rotating basis, according to the seasonal availability of certain ingredients. It's important to take the time to evaluate if the sample menu selection seems delicious to you, and if there are enough options to let you enjoy a wide variety of meals. Selections should include options for food allergies or special diets.
Shipping and Delivery10%
Most companies provide fixed schedules for deliveries which are usually set twice during weekdays. Some meal planning services also feature next-day delivery, which is convenient for short notice orders. When it comes to meal delivery services, flexible delivery schedules are a must. The company should have a variety of delivery schedules catered to each individual customer's needs.