Best Home Warranties 2017
Home warranties, which can be thought of as home repair insurance policies, provide repair and maintenance services for major home systems and appliances. In a calamity, while the home's structure is covered by home insurance, the possessions inside are not. Home warranties then provide three forms of coverage: appliance, system, and combination. Depending on the chosen plan, certain items may or may not be covered.
Home warranties are ideal for homeowners who are not in a financial position to cover the unexpected costs of repairs or replacements of home systems or appliances. With a predictable payment schedule and minimal premiums, having a home warranty makes it easier to finance repairs or replacements. Instead of having to find and communicate with contractors, the home warranty company takes care of it.
When selecting a home warranty provider, consider the balance between the items that are specifically covered, the limit on what the home warranty company will pay out, the cost of general service, and the average deductible cost. If the basic premium is very low, then the deductibles will likely be very high, and only a limited number of items will be covered. Companies that offer customized deductibles are highly recommended, so you only have to pay for the systems and appliances you actually own.
Before finalizing a home warranty agreement, look at the fine print. Evaluate the appliances or systems that are covered, the contractor pool, and whether there are any financial restrictions on coverage. Check that the company has a solid reputation, and be sure to research their customer service and claims history.
Top 9 Companies
- Far and away the trusted industry leader
- They have paid out over $3 billion in claims
- Available nationwide
- 24/7 team assigns pre-screened contractors within 15 min (90% of the time)
- Best reputation in home warranty industry
- Award winning service
- Save 10% on any plan
- Dedicated account managers
- Choose your own service technicians
- Longest work guarantee
- Unlimited number of repairs
- Strong Online Reviews
- First Month Free + $50 Savings
- 24/7 Claims Hotline
- No Inspection Required
- Fast, Reliable, local Technicians
- Dedicated Support Team
- Strong online ratings and reviews
- 24/7 service team schedules repairs fast
- No home inspection needed
- Extensive list of system and appliance coverage
- 2 plans to fit your budget
- Award winning service!
- No claims allowed in first 30 days
- Claims may be subject to caps for the length of the policy
- $60 Service Fee, $75 Cancellation Fee
- Thousands of local service providers across the country
- Easy online quote form (just your info & home address)
- Special Offer: Call now to receive $100 off plus two months free plus free roof leak coverage
- 24/7 support whenever your appliances fail
- Large network of independent prescreened contractors and qualified technicians
- In business for over 30 years
- Good coverage on home systems
- Does not cover pre-existing issues
- They will replace items that fail if they can't be fixed regardless of age, make or model
- 24/7 Claims Service
- Pre-Screened and Licensed Local Technicians
- Coverage regardless of make, model or age
- Monthly and Annual Plans
- No claim limits
- 1 Month Free With Purchase Of Any Single Payment Plan
- Plans For As Low As $1 Per Day
- Available for multi-unit properties
- Great coverage
- No home inspection required
- 14 months of coverage standard
- Top 300 Small Businesses in the Western USA
- Most affordable and comprehensive coverage available in Colorado
- 30 day guarantee on repair and services
- Available for multiple-home types
Best Home Warranties: Summed Up
|1||American Home Shield||Best Overall|
|2||AFC Home Club||Contracts, Contractor Network|
|4||Home Service Club||Plan Value, Customer Experience|
How We Compare Home Warranties
Customer Questions & Answers
What is a home warranty and how is it different from homeowner insurance?
A home warranty is a service contract that will help repair or replace systems (like plumbing, heating, electrical) and appliances (like dishwashers, ovens, garbage disposals) in your home, whereas a homeowners insurance policies cover damage to your home.
Not all home warranties are the same and not all systems and appliances are covered, so make sure you read the policy carefully before you make the purchase. If the coverage you need is not included in the basic warranty, it may be worthwhile to look into an enhanced warranty.