Best Home Warranties 2017
Home warranties, which can be thought of as home repair insurance policies, provide repair and maintenance services for major home systems and appliances. In a calamity, while the home's structure is covered by home insurance, the possessions inside are not. Home warranties then provide three forms of coverage: appliance, system, and combination. Depending on the chosen plan, certain items may or may not be covered.
Home warranties are ideal for homeowners who are not in a financial position to cover the unexpected costs of repairs or replacements of home systems or appliances. With a predictable payment schedule and minimal premiums, having a home warranty makes it easier to finance repairs or replacements. Instead of having to find and communicate with contractors, the home warranty company takes care of it.
When selecting a home warranty provider, consider the balance between the items that are specifically covered, the limit on what the home warranty company will pay out, the cost of general service, and the average deductible cost. If the basic premium is very low, then the deductibles will likely be very high, and only a limited number of items will be covered. Companies that offer customized deductibles are highly recommended, so you only have to pay for the systems and appliances you actually own.
Before finalizing a home warranty agreement, look at the fine print. Evaluate the appliances or systems that are covered, the contractor pool, and whether there are any financial restrictions on coverage. Check that the company has a solid reputation, and be sure to research their customer service and claims history.
Top 8 Companies
- Far and away the trusted industry leader
- They have paid out over $3 billion in claims
- Available nationwide
- 24/7 team assigns pre-screened contractors within 15 min (90% of the time)
- Best reputation in home warranty industry
- Award winning service
- Save 10% on any plan
- Dedicated account managers
- Choose your own service technicians
- Longest work guarantee
- Unlimited number of repairs
- Strong Online Reviews
- First Month Free + $50 Savings
- 24/7 Claims Hotline
- No Inspection Required
- Fast, Reliable, local Technicians
- Dedicated Support Team
- Strong online ratings and reviews
- 24/7 service team schedules repairs fast
- No home inspection needed
- Extensive list of system and appliance coverage
- 2 plans to fit your budget
- Award winning service!
- No claims allowed in first 30 days
- Claims may be subject to caps for the length of the policy
- $60 Service Fee, $75 Cancellation Fee
- Thousands of local service providers across the country
- Easy online quote form (just your info & home address)
- Special Offer: Call now to receive $100 off plus two months free plus free roof leak coverage
- 5-Star Rated Contractors
- Comprehensive Referral Program
- 24/7 Reliable and Fast Claim Services
- Full 30-day Money Back Guarantee
- Recognized for Best Overall Service in 2015
- Specialized Service Solutions
- 24/7 Claims Service
- Dedicated Customer Service Professionals
- First Month Free with Annual Contract
- Home Inspection not Required
- 24/7 support whenever your appliances fail
- Large network of independent prescreened contractors and qualified technicians
- In business for over 30 years
- Good coverage on home systems
- Does not cover pre-existing issues
- They will replace items that fail if they can't be fixed regardless of age, make or model
Best Home Warranties: Summed Up
|1||American Home Shield||Best Overall|
|2||AFC Home Club||Contract & Price, Contractor Network|
|4||Home Service Club||Coverage, Reputation|
How We Compare Home Warranties
Customer Questions & Answers
What do home warranties cover?
Although specific coverage will vary based on location, basic home warranty policies will cover common appliances and systems, such as air conditioning units, refrigerators, ovens, dishwashers, garbage disposals, and plumbing fixtures. If a specific, and necessary, item is not included in the basic warranty, then an enhanced warranty may be a worthwhile investment.
How much does a home warranty cost?
The cost of a basic home warranty plan will range between $300 and $600. The cost of an enhanced plan, with its wider range of coverage options, can span anywhere from an additional $100 to $600. Furthermore, home service fees can fall between $75 and $125, depending on the warranty company and the service provider.
Are home warranties worth it?
Home warranties are worth it if the homeowner engages in an educated decision-making process. This is achieved by weighing the benefits and disadvantages of the policy, as well as by reading the fine print of the policy. By knowing exact coverage details and parameters, this process ensures there will be no surprises down the line.
How do home warranties work?
When a system or appliance ceases to function, the homeowner should submit a claim with the warranty company. The home warranty company will contact a local service operator to make a house call. The operator will decide whether to repair or replace the broken item. In exchange, the homeowner will pay a small visitation fee.
What is a home warranty?
A home warranty is a service contract that will help repair or replace systems and appliances in your home in the event they are not covered under homeowners insurance. It is meant to protect homeowners from unexpectedly high costs resulting from sudden failures. Beware that not all systems and appliances are covered, so make sure to carefully read the policy’s fine print before purchase.