Credit reporting services are agencies that monitor a client’s credit report from one or more of the three main bureaus, issue alerts when there are changes, and offer advice and instruction for credit improvement. Some credit reporting services also provide identity theft insurance and assistance.
Credit reporting services are for people who wish to improve or maintain their current credit score. Since 1970, every American has been entitled to one free credit report per year. Credit reporting services are best for those who would like to be updated more frequently, have continuous access to their credit profile, and receive insight into the mechanics of credit as well as up to the minute alerts on report changes/activity.
When selecting a credit reporting service, it is important to weigh its suite of extra services. These can include identity theft insurance and protection services, lost wallet assistance, official FICO scores, credit repair interventions with bureaus and creditors, customer assistance from credit experts, and mobile apps.
Before confirming the purchase of a credit reporting service plan, make certain you find out the following things. How frequently is one’s credit score updated? Is the FICO or VantageScore credit score model used? How will the user be altered to fraud detection?
Top 10 Companies
- Our #1 Choice, A+ Rated by BBB
- Experian Credit Report is Completely FREE
- TRULY: No Credit Card Required
- Checking your own Report doesn’t hurt your credit
- Report refreshed every 30 days on sign in
- Experian is an Official Credit Bureau
- Get Your FICO® SCORE for $1
- Credit reports from 3 Credit bureaus
- Daily monitoring, Toll-Free Support & 4.5 Stars in Google Play
- Identity Theft Protection Available
- Unlimited TransUnion Score and Report Updates
- Email updates of critical credit information changes
- 1-Touch Credit Lock
- Interactive graph of your score history
- Personalized credit and debt analysis
- Up to $1,000,000 in ID Theft Insurance
- 3 Bureau credit reports and scores
- Monthly score tracker
- Instant alerts
- $1 million ID theft insurance
- Quarterly credit reporting
- Free tools and insights to build business credit
- Get started for free without credit card required
- 24/7 credit monitoring
- Real-time alerts
- Vantage 3.0 score
- Identity Theft Insurance
- FICO score based reporting
- 3 bureau credit score reporting
- Mobile alerts
- $1 million ID theft insurance
- FICO score simulator
- Free Credit Score with Monitoring
- NO Credit Card Required
- Upgrade available to Monitor & Fix ID Theft
- 24/7 Expert Support
- Credit Score Monitoring Included (Insurance Available as Paid Upgrade)
- Get your Credit Reports starting at $24.95
- Monthly Credit Reports and Real-time Financial Insights
- Industrial Strength ID Protection
- Real FICO® Score Tracker
- US Based Credit Professionals
- Credit Repair as Needed
- 24/7 customer support via phone, chat, email
- 7 day free trial
- Unlimited access to your TransUnion credit score and report
- Get instant access from the three major credit reporting bureaus
- Daily credit monitoring
- $1 million identity theft insurance
How We Compare Credit Reporting
Having credit reports from the three major credit bureaus is a must for those searching for credit reporting services. After all, this is the only way they could keep themselves on top of their credit situation. While everybody is entitled to a credit report from the three credit bureaus once a year, some credit reporting services do not offer all three credit bureau reports. This is why we ranked companies who offer credit reports from all three major credit bureaus on top of our list for credit reporting providers.
Frequency of Credit Reporting - things we looked into when choosing the top credit reporting services includes checking the frequency of credit reports. Services who provided monthly credit reports were on top of our list simply because it gives us the benefit of having timely reports on our credit standing. Those who provided quarterly credit reports came in second because of the long interval between reporting.
Credit Reporting – this includes every item in your credit profile. Items such as your credit history and repayments. This is also the same information that each creditor uses in assessing your credit worthiness. It determines if you qualify for the loan and your interest rates.
Credit Scoring Model Used – your credit score is a reflection of your credit worthiness. Aside from providing you with a credit report from the credit bureaus, credit reporting services also include helping you understand what this means to your credit profile.
The FICO credit scoring model is widely used by US financial and credit institutions. It helps them determine your credit worthiness and interest rates. A higher credit score translates to bigger loans and lower interest payments.
Credit reporting services use a variety of credit scoring models. While all provide the same information from the three major credit bureaus, how they interpret this data depends on the credit score model used. A company like Identity Guard who uses CreditXpert for its credit scoring model may have differences in terms of how it interprets your credit report.
Plans and Pricing35%
The three major credit bureaus are required by law to provide a yearly credit report for free. But for those who would like to keep closer tabs on their financial health, credit reporting companies provide these in a monthly or quarterly fashion.
Trial services are available for those who would like to check their credit reports. Those who enroll are sent credit reports and enjoy the benefits of the programs such as credit monitoring. Trial services can be cancelled anytime but failing to do so automatically enrolls you to a monthly program.
Some companies even offer a variety of plans with different levels of credit reporting and identity theft protection. Entry level plans usually provide limited credit reporting and monitoring. This means credit reporting from the three major credit bureaus are only available through higher tier plans. So be sure to check the different features included in each plan.
Identity Theft Protection20%
This might not be high on the list of those searching for credit reporting services but having this included in your plan doesn’t hurt either. Aside from sending you monthly or quarterly credit reports, the companies we have reviewed also offer identity theft protection in their services.
The company monitors your credit profile daily. It send alerts via phone, email, text or mobile for any unusual activity or when it detects that your personal information is being traded. It also gives assistance in the unfortunate event that your identity has been compromised.
The quality of support services certainly makes a difference especially when you’re faced with the difficult task of recovering your identity. Dedicated fraud specialists along with identity theft insurance ensures you are financially covered during this process.