Best Home Security in Boston, Massachusetts
Boston is considerably more dangerous than the rest of Massachusetts, and the overall crime rate is 6% higher than the national average. The many charming neighborhoods both of the city, and of neighboring Cambridge, (which is part of Boston’s greater metropolitan area), can make it feel as though you’re in a quaint succession of small towns. However, 1 in 44 residents are likely to become victims of property crime.
Though there’s been a slight decline in home invasions since 2001, burglaries are still a concern for Bostonians. These types of residential home invasions directly affect a community’s quality of life, often upsetting people’s feelings of safety and security. A study by the Bureau of Justice Statistics found that more than a quarter of all burglaries occur when a family member is in the home, and this can lead to the fear of revictimization common when a home is broken into.
As a large, developed area, Boston homes are more prone to burglaries than those in more remote and isolated communities. There are, however, several factors that can contribute to your risk factor, including proximity to transportation hubs, pawn shops, and socially disadvantaged or disorganized areas. Risky time periods depend on the day of the week, with more burglaries occurring during work hours. Relative proximity to hospitals, police stations, and firehouses can help mitigate your risk factor, as the increased traffic of authoritative figures can deter burglars.
Investing in a good home security system is still the best way to avoid a burglary altogether. The simplest among these just monitor windows and doors via sensors which feed into a control panel—but most also offer additional features such as fire, smoke, carbon monoxide, and flooding detection. The most interesting new trend in home security is full automation, which allows homeowners to control not only their security system, but also the temperature in their house, and the light switches, for example. These add-ons not only protect you from intruders, as well as from other potential hazards.
Whether in Boston or any other part of the U.S., your budget must always determine the plans you can choose. Most home security companies offer free consultations, on-site inspections, and quotes with different coverage options, so it may be a good idea to approach more than one, in order to accurately compare them. Some common costs include an installation fee, monthly fee, and a possible equipment fee as well, which may be billed as a one-time expense or a monthly rental fee. You should also be aware that some systems require a term-length contract, others have auto-renewal policies, and some also insist on cancellation fees.
Be sure to review each company’s reputation and customer service. Any great home security company will make sure to offer efficient, 24/7 monitoring and coverage, with guarantees. Their Better Business Bureau grade can be a good indicator, as well as whether their monitoring centers are UL listed (this means they’ve met or exceeded the standards set forth by Underwriter’s Laboratories, an internationally recognized safety science company), and that their Central Station Alarm Association (CSAA) rating is ideally a five diamond certification.
All the companies we recommend for the greater Boston area offer competitive pricing, impeccable response times, and considerate, efficient customer service.
Top 4 Boston Home Security
- Angie’s List Super Service Award winner 5 years running. Editor's Choice.
- GE wireless hardware - camera, & mobile app options
- Best reputation in Home Security
- 30-day free trial & 3-year term
- Top quality monitoring, from $34.99/mo
- ADT's monitoring is the most trusted & popular in the US
- Get it installed by a pro - save time, don't risk doing it wrong
- Remote Arm/Disarm With Mobile App to Stay Connected
- 3-year term. 2-year term (in California)
- Website doesn't show pricing, call 866-946-7173
- Qualification: 600+ credit score
- Award-winning Home Security from $19.99
- Affordable yet effective equipment
- Quick setup with no installation fees
- 3-year term
- Qualification: 600+ Fico Score
- Expect to pay $19.99-$42.99/mo
- Recommended for No-Annual-Contract Security
- 24-Hour Monitoring Across U.S.
- Smartphone App Control & Nest® Compatible
- Easy to use and install system
- Professional monitoring starts at $35/month
- Wireless Camera now available
- No contracts!
- Free Motion Camera when you use promo code “FREECAMERA”