National General Auto Insurance Review
ConsumersAdvocate.org Rating: 8.2 / 10 (Excellent)
Since 1939, National General Auto Insurance has been a leading provider of auto insurance policies in the U.S. The company provides motorcycle insurance for touring bikes and ATVs; insurance coverage for antique and classic cars, exotics, muscle cars, modern classics, replicas, street rods, lowriders, military vehicles, fire trucks, and others; and health insurance as well. They offer a series of discounts and services designed to give their customers flexibility and extended coverage.
National General offers bodily injury liability, property damage liability, collision and comprehensive coverage, medical payments, uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, and personal injury protection. Additionally, they provide industry-leading benefits such as:
- SmartValet– They pick up the damaged vehicle and bring a rental car after a claim. Once the vehicle is repaired, they deliver it directly to the customer and return the rental car.
- Guaranteed repairs – They provide a Lifetime Guarantee on all collision repairs made at any of their Gold Medal Repair Shops.
- Guaranteed claims service satisfaction or they’ll waive the deductible — up to $250.
- Emergency Expense Allowance – They cover up to $500 in food, lodging and travel expenses after a covered claim.
- SmartReplacement – If a customer needs their vehicle replaced after a total loss, they can offer references to an expert who will quickly search for the exact car the customer needs.
- SmartInspect– Once a car has been repaired after a claim, they will reinspect it upon request to ensure it is in top condition.
Plans and Pricing
Many different factors affect the rates that National General can provide, including driving history, the vehicle itself, geographical location, age, gender, marital status, financial responsibility, and credit history.
Some applicable discounts at National General are having a multiple car policy, using anti-theft devices, maintaining an active OnStar subscription, being a homeowner, and having another GMAC account (such as a GM Card). Others include a safe driver discount, having low mileage, the GM family first discount for active and retired employees of GM, GMAC, and other subsidiaries and their extended family members. Finally, they also offer Affinity Discounts for members and supporters of a wide variety of organizations.
A.M Best Financial Rating A-
BBB - A+
National General offers SmartValet, SmartReplacement, SmartInspect, and SmartAssist, as mentioned above, under Coverage. Additionally, they provide 24/7 claims reporting, roadside assistance, and a lifetime guarantee for any repairs made at any of their Gold Medal repair shops.
The Bottom Line – National General Auto Insurance
National General Auto Insurance provides flexible, customizable insurance policies with industry-leading coverage and special benefit programs. Their wide array discounts include unique features and services no other company offers. However, their website has very little information about geographical coverage, and their J.D. Power & Associate customer satisfaction ratings are only average.