Best Wireless Home Security
Untethering your home security system from wired security technology makes the installation much more streamlined, and available for use in areas where wired systems would be difficult. Fully wireless systems use individual sensors throughout the home, to communicate wirelessly with the central control panel, typically through the use of radio frequencies. This control panel then communicates with the outside world via a cellular uplink, as though it were a cell phone of its own.
However, some common setups use a landline as their primary connection to the system's monitoring centers, and rely on cellular as a backup. This solves the main issue with traditional wired systems, which are vulnerable to power outages or landlines being cut. The principal drawback with wireless systems is their reliability, since they are subject to a number of interference issues, both structural and electromagnetic, which can trigger false responses or cause your sensor to fail to respond at all.
On the other hand, a fully wireless system does also offer considerable advantages. If you're looking into home automation, a wireless security system is the foundation of a smart home, that includes HD video, a smart thermostat, and automated locks. It's easier to expand and install, since it can mostly be done by homeowners themselves. Lastly, their range is generally double that of a traditional wired system.
1. Frontpoint - Frontpoint is our premier choice for wireless security systems. The installation is fully do-it-yourself, can be completed in less than a half hour, and activated with a simple phone call. There are no shipping charges for their state-of-the-art equipment, and they guarantee there are no hidden fees. The system is automated to run self-diagnostics every hour, in order to ensure that each sensor remains both online and active. Their professional, 24/7 monitoring for all their plans protect you against not only intruders, but also from fire, environmental dangers, and medical emergencies, at no extra charge. The Ultimate Monitoring plan also features the option of a live video feed which can be accessed from any mobile device or computer. Terms are standard, with a three-year contract and a 30-day trial.
2. GetSafe - GetSafe's security systems are completely wireless, with an AT&T SIM card installed automatically, which eliminates the need to connect with your mobile service, internet, or landline. The starter kit includes a standard SmartHub, Motion Detector and Alarm Siren, but if your home is large, you can also obtain additional sensors. The SmartHub connects with its associated sensors and posts automatic alerts to your smartphone, if anything triggers the alarm. The basic package doesn't include professional, 24/7 monitoring, but this can be purchased for an extra fee, thereby guaranteeing an additional layer of security. If the alarm is triggered, GetSafe's operators call your phone and ask for your passcode to verify your identity, and dispatch emergency personnel as deemed necessary.
3. Protect America - Protect America offers a variety of home security systems, each of which is fully customizable for your home and budget. The installation process couldn't be simpler: once you've placed the fully wireless sensors at the entrance points of your home, all you have to do is plug in the command station. Their cellular monitoring program eliminates the need for a landline or internet connection if there's good mobile coverage in your area. Their equipment selection is stellar, featuring regular or touch-screen control panels, door and window sensors, security cameras, garage door sensors, glass break sensors, motion detectors, and a two-button panic alarm. For extra safety, other features can be added on, such as smoke, freeze, and carbon monoxide detection, and they can even provide home automation for light fixtures and door locks. Every package includes professional, 24/7 monitoring.
4. ADT - The name ADT is practically in the dictionary under home security. Their 140-plus years of experience, and service to more than six million customers virtually guarantee their professionalism and efficiency. Their standard systems, (which all include a wireless, indoor camera), cover break-ins, fire and smoke detection, medical alert monitoring, and some natural disasters, such as floods. They have over six monitoring centers that are professionally staffed 24/7, and they offer some of the swiftest response times in the industry. ADT's equipment communicates via radio frequencies, and can be installed professionally or by the homeowners themselves. Expanding the system for more coverage is as easy as purchasing additional monitors.
Top 4 Wireless Home Security
- Angie’s List Super Service Award winner 5 years running. Editor's Choice.
- GE wireless hardware - camera, & mobile app options
- Best reputation in Home Security
- 30-day free trial & 3-year term
- Top quality monitoring, from $34.99/mo
- Award-winning Home Security from $19.99
- Affordable yet effective equipment
- Quick setup with no installation fees
- 3-year term
- Qualification: 600+ Fico Score
- Expect to pay $19.99-$42.99/mo
- ADT's monitoring is the most trusted & popular in the US
- Get it installed by a pro - save time, don't risk doing it wrong
- Home Automation Available + mobile app to stay connected
- 3-year term. 2-year term (in California)
- Website doesn't show pricing, call 866-946-7173
- Qualification: 650+ credit score
- Recommended for No-Annual-Contract Security
- 24-Hour Monitoring Across U.S.
- Smartphone App Control & Nest® Compatible
- Easy to use and install system
- Professional monitoring starts at $35/month
- Wireless Camera now available
- No contracts!
- Free Motion Camera when you use promo code “FREECAMERA”
Equipment - 15%
Monitoring - 25%
Reputation - 15%
Contract & Price - 30%
Technology Inegration - 15%