Trupanion Canada Pet Insurance Review
Although Trupanion offers pet insurance coverage for all North America, the company was originally founded in Vancouver and continues to be one of the largest providers in its home country of Canada. Trupanion provides coverage for both cats and dogs in one simple, easy to understand plan that pays 90% of actual costs with no payout limit. This includes medication, surgeries, hospitalization, diagnostic tests, and other treatments. You can enroll your pet as young as 8 weeks, and up to 14 years old. Trupanion's policies include a wide range of coverage options making the company an excellent choice for pet insurance.
Type of contract
Premium charged month to month
8 weeks-14 years
5 days for injuries.
Out of country coverage
USA, Puerto Rico
Claims and policy price
No increase in premiums due to claims made
14 years old
Customizable. $0 to $1,000 for each pet.
No claim limits
Policies can be cancelled by sending notification in writing via mail, fax or email. Policies cancelled within the first 30 days without any claim submissions will receive 100% of their money back.
How much is it going to cost you?
A variety of factors can influence your monthly premium cost:
- Average of treating illnesses and injuries for similar pets in your area
- Pet’s breed, age, gender
- Geographical location
- Deductible (higher deductible – lower premium and vice versa)
- Optional coverage (if any)
What you pay
- Veterinary examination fees
- 10% co-insurance
- Federal/ State/ Provincial/ Local taxes
- Costs not covered by the policy
What does it cover?
Accident and illness coverage
Prescriptions and medications
Recovery and complimentary care coverage
- Rehabilitative therapy
- Behavioral modification therapy
Pet owner assistance package
- Liability coverage for third party property damage
- Advertising and reward
- Boarding fees if you become hospitalized
- Vacation cancellation costs
- Cremation and burial fees
- Injuries related to breeding, whelping and queening
Therapeutic diets, herbal therapy and supplements
What’s not covered?
- Pre-existing conditions
- Preventive care treatments (vaccinations, flea control, de-worming)
- Exam fees
- Sales tax
A no benefit limit makes Trupanion an excellent choice for financially protecting pet owners against any sudden illness or accident. But just like many of the top pet insurance services, it does not cover pre-existing conditions. The company's 90% no-limit coverage is just about the best deal you are going to find. There seems little going against Trupanion in terms of the overall quality of the services they provide. If you are looking for pet insurance in Canada, Trupanion is a must-look-at option.
46 Customer Comments & Reviews
- Unlimited payouts and no caps on coverage
- Can pay the vet directly - up to 90% coverage!
- Award winning customer service
- Per-condition deductible (good for chronic conditions)
- Fast payouts and no penalties for filing claims