LightStream Auto Loans Review
ConsumersAdvocate.org Rating: 9.5 / 10 (Excellent)
LightStream is the online consumer lending division of SunTrust Bank that offers consumer loans* for practically anything, including auto loans and refinancing for classic, brand new, and used cars, from dealers or private parties.
Types of Auto Loan
- New Auto Loans
- Used Car Loans for Purchase from a Dealer
- Used Car Loans for Purchase from a Private Party
- Auto Refinancing
- Auto Lease Buyout
Clients can buy any vehicle from any dealer or individual regardless if it’s a brand new or used vehicle. Interest rates vary depending on the client’s credit profile, loan purpose, loan term, loan amount and payment method selected. Choosing AutoPay (automated monthly payments) will offer APR rates that are 0.50 points lower.
The company doesn't require any down payment for vehicle purchase. Borrowers may apply for an auto loan online and must agree with the loan agreement. If approved, client must have a valid MasterCard or Visa credit card for verification purposes. The loan proceeds must be used for the loan purpose selected on the application. It cannot be used for professional, commercial or industrial purposes.
Borrower must possess a good to excellent credit profile including assets and sufficient income to support existing debt obligations and the requested loan amount.
Given the unique nature of each individual's credit situation, we believe there is no single definition for "good credit." However, we find individuals with good credit usually share the following characteristics:
- Several years of credit history.
- A credit history with a variety of account types such as major credit cards (for example, Visa, MasterCard, Amex), installment debt (vehicle loans) and mortgage debt if applicable.
- A good payment history with few, if any, delinquencies or other problems repaying debt obligations.
- An ability to save evidenced by some or all of the following; liquid assets (stocks, bonds, bank deposits, etc.), cash down payments on real estate, retirement savings, and manageable revolving credit card debt.
- Stable and sufficient income and assets to repay current debt obligations and any new loan with Light Stream.
Finally, it should be noted again that each individual situation is different and that we make our credit judgment based on the specific facts of that situation. Ultimately our determination of good credit is based on whether we conclude that there is a high likelihood that our loan will be repaid in a full and timely manner.
Auto Loans at Lightstream
Lightstream is a good start for your search for an auto loan because it offers a simplified loan application process. It also doesn’t charge prepayment penalties. Lightstream also offers some of the most competitive rates in the market today but this is still subject to a customer’s credit profile.